As you were growing up your parents did what they thought was best. But as you grew, your independence did as well. You acted out by drinking alcohol and doing drugs, and you did not think about the consequences of your decisions. 

When you got into trouble with the law, you found your future to be in jeopardy. A drug conviction could ruin your chance for a college degree in Wisconsin. Can you continue with college? What happens to your financial aid? 

Criminal background checks 

Some schools, such as The University of Wisconsin’s School of Education, ask prospective students to submit to a criminal background check.  Yet, general admission applications for the university does not. The Common Application, which the university uses, took off the criminal history question this year. 

Pending charges 

For those with pending charges while in college, there are serious outcomes. The Wisconsin State Legislature allows for nonacademic hearings for misconduct occurring on or off university property. For misconduct that happened off the grounds, the hearing convenes if the investigating officer believes the misconduct affects the school. The officer considers the following conditions: 

  • The conduct is a serious criminal offense. 
  • The conduct presents a danger to the student or others. 
  • The conduct demonstrates behavior that affects the school’s ability to teach or research. 

Disciplinary sanctions 

Following the investigations, the school can impose disciplinary sanctions such as these: 

  • Written reprimand 
  • Denial of university privileges 
  • Disciplinary probation 
  • Restrictions on course enrollment 
  • Removal from a course 
  • Suspension 
  • Expulsion 

The sanctions will not terminate your student financial aid, but they could change your eligibility. 

If you receive a drug-related conviction, it can seriously affect your financial aid. The government may suspend your support if the offense happened while in college. You may regain your aid by successfully completing an approved drug rehabilitation program or by passing drug tests. However, if you lose financial assistance, you may have to pay back any aid you received.