Mays Law Office, LLC



How do I file a workers' compensation claim?

view our Practice areas

Work-related injuries can be extremely frustrating. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may have to miss a substantial period of time at work while recovering. This could result in many wage hours lost while your medical bills begin to pile up.

Fortunately, filing a workers’ compensation claim could help relieve some stress. You can receive aid for both your medical bills as well as general living expenses. This can be a rather simple process so long as you follow the necessary procedure and keep a detailed medical record.

Tell your supervisor

In order to file a workers’ compensation claim, you have a few responsibilities. The first one is rather simple, as it is the natural response to suffering an injury or becoming ill. You must let your employer know you sustained an injury at work at once.

Whether you believe the injury is severe or not is irrelevant at this point. It is initially more important to establish a record of what happened and when it occurred in order to create a timeline of the injury.

Seek medical help

Next, you want to immediately seek out medical attention. Depending on the severity of your injury, this could mean anything from simply applying first aid to a trip to the hospital. Again, this is important both for supplying evidence as to what happened as well as allowing you to begin the road to recovery.

Organize your records

The final step is to make sure you keep track of all relevant medical and payment records. You want to stay organized and keep everything readily available so you can provide information as it becomes necessary. You should hold onto these records for up to 12 years in the event that your condition changes over the duration of your recovery.

Receiving compensation

After reporting your injury to your supervisor, it is your employer’s responsibility to report the condition to its insurance carrier or claims administrator. From this point, the insurance carrier will report your injury to the Wisconsin Worker’s Compensation Division.

The insurance carrier will cover any necessary medical bills. If your doctor recommends that you stay off your feet for more than three days, you will receive a check for the hours you missed at work. You should receive this within 14 days after reporting your injury to your employer. This is another reason why it is crucial to report your injury immediately.

Your recovery from a work injury may be a complicated and stressful process but filing a workers’ compensation claim does not have to be. In the event that your claim is more complicated, an attorney can be helpful in navigating your concern.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mays Law Office, LLC

6405 Century Avenue
Suite 103
Middleton, WI 53562

Phone: 608-535-4719
Fax: 608-257-0441
Middleton Law Office Map