Mays Law Office, LLC



What If My Employer Will Not Rehire Me?

view our Practice areas

Once you have received a physician's permission to return to work following an occupational injury, you will most likely wish to return to your previous job. This can prove problematic. Your employer has no legal responsibility to hold a position for you or create a new one once you have made your recovery.

If your employer refuses you without a reasonable cause, Wisconsin state law states that you may be eligible for compensation for wages lost during the period of refusal. This can amount to up to one year's worth of wages. Establishing clear lines of communication between you, your doctor and your employer throughout your recovery process is the surest way to avoid complications once you are ready to return to work. By maintaining an ongoing relationship, your employer can be informed as to your progress and together you can create a reasonable work plan outlining your re-insertion into the work force.

Sustaining a strong relationship with your employer can also benefit you should your employer decide not to rehire you and you request a hearing to challenge your employer's decision.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mays Law Office, LLC

6405 Century Avenue
Suite 103
Middleton, WI 53562

Phone: 608-535-4719
Fax: 608-257-0441
Middleton Law Office Map